Friday, September 6, 2013

Le premier jour--Caen, Normandy

Bonjour!
Katie's turn to kick off the experience.

There is definitely something to be said for this whole immersion idea. I don't have a full grasp of the language yet, but I find myself learning so much more in each minute just walking around and experiencing France than I do in a classroom. Everything is more potent and perhaps it's the tinge of desperation that helps the lessons stick. Although all that classroom work definitely helped prepare me to be competent enough to function at all here.

I met Rachael at the Charlotte airport, which was a glorious reunion that began with an accelerated penguin shuffle as soon as we saw each other (my duffle was awkwardly draped across one shoulder and heavier than I thought it would be--oh the woes of packing) and evolved into full scale bear hug.

The layover wasn't too long for me and another student in the Hollins Abroad Program, (another Katie although we have now renamed her Roberta Doris, or Rough Draft) as our previous flight deposited us with just over an hour to spare before the hulking flight to Paris. Rachael had some drama with her previous flight and silly airport people saying they had to check her carry-on bag and that yes, of course they would put the necessary yellow tag on it. Eventually. It was lucky for Rachael that she had a few hours for her layover so she could hunt for her stray, unmarked bag in a daring quest through the ambiguous land of airport baggage claim and the apathetic customer service denizens. Thankfully for all parties involved, it was not necessary for Rachael to hit super saiyan 6 and ignite destruction. The wayward bag was found, Rachael got a smoothie, and all was resolved. Shortly thereafter I arrived towing happiness and glee and all things good in the world in my wake, just for my Rachaelkins.

We boarded our plane in a fashion akin to an amoeba making its way through a dropper. Follow approximately 8 hours on a plane. I caught about an hour of sleep, which was exciting because I have never been able to sleep on a plane before. Rachael however was awake for the whole flight, but she's a trooper so we made it through the day.

Our arrival at the Charles-de-Gaul airport was something more properly comparable to that of a large herd of very dumb cattle through customs. Brain function was at an all time low due to the personhood sucking qualities of airplanes and red eye flights. We got our stamp and found a bathroom to bring back some light to our lives. It's amazing what a good toothbrushing, a change of clothes, and face wipes can do for one's outlook. Of course at this point Rachael and I were encountering bouts of minor hysteria, but the more necessary tasks of procuring food and finding Audrey, our program director, helped distract us. By completing the first, we were able to make the necessary connection--Audrey found Katie/Roberta Doris/Rough Draft while she was waiting for me standing in line to order breakfast.



Side note * I have tasted my first french Croissant. It was amazing and beautiful, all delicate flakes of bread surrounded by fluff and touched with a light layer of silky butter.
I may have just been that hungry.

We waited in our sheltered corner, our bags stacked up on a trolley to create an illusion of privacy and quiet while Audrey rounded up the last members of our group. In my brief wandering around the airport I saw a french kitty in a carrier who seemed most unhappy about his current situation and determined to tell everyone about it, and a little girl who nearly lost her mother while deeply contemplating her hands and/or a man standing by a map. Children...they are strange creatures sometimes, no matter their country of origin.

We have a huge charter bus for the seven of us in the program. A leak is called a fuite. And a not so charming rest stop in France has three different cafes, a general store, an eating area, and vending machines for coffee, tea, etc. Unites States, you need to get on that.

Side note 2 * Green mint tea is good for settling an upset stomach. Purchased some for lunch to share with Rachael and she commented on that.

We stopped at the said rest stop on our bus ride to Caen in Normandy. The ordering of our lunch was where I made my first incredibly dense American blunder of the day.  I was talking to the man in French and he got into the specifics of what kind of green tea I wanted. I was confused and tried to explain that I was an american. What came out was "I have American." That's right guys, apparently all of America is mine. Who knew I was such a sneaky land grabber?
The man understood my butchered French though, and the rest of the day went without a comparable incident.

After lunch, we all got back on the bus and for the most part became unconscious. Audrey woke us when we arrived in Caen, we grabbed our weekend bags, and checked into the Hotel des Quatrans. It's a rather nice place, very tidy and charming. Three ladies to a room, and one for the single male in our group. We had about a half hour to an hour to settle in and relax before we all met downstairs for a walking tour of the city, where we explored the castles around the city of Caen, all relating to William the Conquerer and the Normans. I did not catch a good 50% of what he said. There's only so much a brain can absorb and mostly I wanted to do more looking and less talking. We had a packet with a summarized history in our orientation folders which we received while still on the bus, so I figured I could always brush up on what I missed later.

It's a very strange thing to wander around a city that has been in the process of creation for over a thousand years now, beginning with the Chateau. There are the landmarks of course, and then other buildings spanning through the years, many still standing or reconstructed after the world wars. And in the streets and on the chimneys are marks of our modern world with satellites, cars, buses, and traffic lights. Almost all of the people walking around are impeccably dressed in sweaters and scarves or skirts and leggings, jewelry, hair carefully made up. Some more so than others. It wasn't to the point that you thought everyone was going to an opera, but there was definitely more of an attempt at chic dress than you would find in most cities or towns in America.

Side Note 3* I packed for these three days in Normandy as if it would be around upper sixties, low seventies. That was wishful thinking and I am in the wrong. It's still the summer season here, but because of how far north we are, the temperature made it up maybe to 65 and hovered closer to 60 in the shade with the breeze. Which I was not prepared for. Seriously. Just came from steady 80 degree weather. Apparently though today was a beautiful day considering the normal, especially with how long the sun stayed out and shining.

My favorite part was the evening out with the whole group and Audrey. We went to a cafe for aperitifs, pretty much a casual pre-dinner drink/social hour. In France, if you try to eat dinner at 5 or 6, you are called un poulet, a chicken, because you eat early and sleep early. Or like a child. We did not wish to be children or chickens, so we agreed we could wait on dinner. It was worth it. There were specific drinks for this time and I got a kind of wild strawberry wine. The serving is small, close to 3 fluid ounces in my estimation. I think a full glass of wine is 4. I could be wrong though. Entirely possible. I'm sure I'll learn soon enough. Another lady in our group went for a local liquor flavored with apple. It was a bit too strong for her, so we all ended up helping her finish it, and Rachael took down the final gulp. I'm sure she makes her fellow Kentuckians proud with her distinguished and elegant (and responsible--no binge drinking here ladies and gents) throw back.

Then we wandered around and found a creperie. Strange food, for me anyway. The salted pancake is a reasonable option for dinner, often filled with french cheese, some kind of meat, local sausage or ham, and a variety of other food stuffs. Surprisingly, it was also delicious. (Did not see that coming, but I was willing to try it. I mean really, what American has ever salted a pancake before?) Dinner was coupled with a carafe of water which was free but way more fancy than anything you'd find in most american restaurants (we just get cups), and a bottle of local cider, followed by dessert of more crepes with sweet toppings for others and sorbet for Rachael and me.



On our way back to our hotel, we stopped to climb the ramparts over the city. Disturbed a couple or two having romantic cuddles on the hill as our group herded by. And finally back to our rooms, where we did those things that enable us to face the next day. Like showers. Showers may be one of the greatest inventions man can ever claim. Showers and Chateaus.

More Normandy adventures to follow!
A Bientôt

Side Note 4(?) *There were going to be pictures. The computer says no. Therefore I say, I surrender.




No comments:

Post a Comment