Sunday, September 22, 2013

Daily life in Paris, as told by Rachael


So classes have started… Thought a mental break was on the horizon the first couple days but it might be slightly better now. At least I like to think so. Oh it’s Rachael again by the way. Katie yelled at me for taking so long to post again but I have good reason to be distracted I think. Anyway back to the classes… I have Impressionism, Architecture, French oral and written courses. So if you think about it which do you think of as the most fun? The first two? I naively thought the same. Oh how wrong I was. So in these courses I have one day in the classroom and one in the city visited whatever spot the professor has chosen for the week. Ok so far so good. Then… they speak in rapid-fire French and you are on the street or in the Louvre and there are other people and noises and they use very specific vocab. Do you have the picture in your head yet? A couple students following at a leisurely pace understanding the lecture and then me and Katie… at the back, trotting along like panicked puppies. Lost and confused and furiously taking notes that more resemble random thoughts written on paper or just gibberish. Oh yeah… fun times guys. Then… the unknown expenses come in. “oh you need to buy this book…” “oh you need to go get a museum pass…” “it should only be like 10 or 15” Then 50 euros later and one book and one museum pass richer I feel very dark feelings for these kind professors.  
            I am slightly awed and frightened of my language professor but I adore this beautiful woman. I’m stupid and I don’t know anything. Does she keep going or judge me? No she explains and gives examples and speaks CLEARLY. I feel more strongly for her than for any man I have dated. She is my hero. (I think Katie feels the same.) So recap… hate artsy classes, like boring language courses. How do these things happen you might ask. Simple, live in another country where everyone speaks at you in a language you aren’t fluent in and all your classes are in, then talk to me.
            I feel like I should include the fact that there are many beautiful things in Paris and I have had good experiences too. I have new friends and have seen wonderful, historic sites. I have the two Katies in my classes and Jeremy is fabulous and the other girls in my classes are all very nice and fun people. I have kind people around me and get to do fun stuff but then I have the super exciting (sarcasm might be happening here) art classes and public transit.
            Oh…. Public transit. How I love thee… Not. Let’s just take a moment to appreciate all the aspects of things such as the metro in Paris. First, yummy smells every time you enter and leave. Yes smells like urine and worse substances. Yay my favorite. Then add in crowded cars. We are talking like 20 people in a 5 to 10 square foot area. Are you with me yet? Is this your paradise? Then you have turtles (the wonderful people wearing GINORMOUS backpacks). These individuals love to smack one in the head repeatedly with their grand shells. Always fun. And the kind gentlemen that use this closeness to invade any trace of personal room you ever thought you had. I just can’t wait for the ogling portion of my ride every day. Also the people that sack out and make themselves at home while you are pressed between three people, a suitcase, and a pole. Yes please ignore the sign that says don’t use folding seats when it’s crowded. It makes the game of how do we fit and not fall more fun. So you survive this either push your way out or get pushed out. (I did help a woman though when a metro I wasn’t even trying for was too full and her bag got caught in the door and she almost lost it. Another man and I pushed it through the closing doors for her. So that restored a little faith in humanity.) Then you are exiting the metro. Still a good crush of people. Perfect time for strangers to cop a feel as you go up stairs or walk down hallways. My butt has been touched more times here…. But I digress. You get into fresh air from this labyrinth and still have to find wherever you are going and cross streets with made up traffic rules. It’s all very excited. Gets the blood pumping.
            Thankfully the lady I live with is super nice and helpful and helps me figure out my life and gives me advice for the best ways to get places. Without her and my map I bought I would be forever lost. Let me just say what I never thought I would, “I can’t wait to get back to Frankfort, Kentucky.” Sad, but true. I love the sites and some people and the opportunity but it’s all a bit hectic for me. Also I know I’m a loser and can’t have a social life. Latest reason: I try to go to a party through Eramus last night with the other students in my program. I’m kind of excited because it’s on a boat and will be 10 euros for food and a boat tour and the party (not counting) drinks. Also because we should be getting a free bottle of champagne because my birthday is in September. Sounds like a good time. Then we go. We follow the hoards of students and find the line. Ooh and Aah over a great view of the Eiffel Tower. Then the wait begins. 10 minutes. 20. 40. An hour later we have moved 10 to 20 feet. We are all slightly cranky and hungry as it is now 9 or so at night. We wait a little longer then decided dinner is more important. We have the idea to go to a Portuguese restaurant near me. I have vague directions and of course they fail. BUT… we find an awesome Thai place. I loved it and enjoyed it much more than I would have the party anyway. We are having a good time. I get some wine and unwind a bit and the check comes we all put in what we think is correct. Because it’s the whole group, we come up short. There are some less than pleasant exchanges. Everyone is tired and done at this point. Katie R tallies up the money again. I get the receipt and start going one thing at a time. “Who got this?” “Who splite that?” etc. After WWIII almost breaking out it is resolved and we can all head home. The moral of the story? Don’t try to go to parties when you don’t do so on a normal basis.
            Today was good though. Katie stayed over last night. We had breakfast with my homestay lady. Made plans to meet back up at a garden. Went to Katie’s abode. The other Katie decided to meet us at the garden too. We all eventually meet at the parc floral on the outskirts of Paris. See lots of pretty plants, eat some food, listen to some music. A few hours later my lady heads home and we go for aperitifs at a cafĂ©/bar. It all works out and we have fun times. Just lots of learning experiences to break up the fun times. I’m exhausted so that’s it for tonight but I will post some pictures tomorrow! Au revoir mes amis!!!

1 comment:

  1. Hello! So I've been reading all your guys' blog posts, which are beautiful and slightly sad and make me miss you two so much! It sounds like Paris is beautiful, and hard and lovely. I hope you two continue to have a good time and I'm sure you'll both be more comfortable soon! You're three weeks in, and everyone says the first three weeks are the hardest! Keep it up beautiful ladies!
    Love,
    Megan

    ReplyDelete